Rider Training   Before You Ride   Media Information   Respect the Outdoors
 Riding Gear   ASI Products   Contact Us   Library / Safety Tips   Instructors
ASI Home / Online Enrollment / FAQ's

New Mexico OHV Certification Program Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the New Mexico OHV Certification Program?
When operating an Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) on public land, New Mexico state law currently requires that all OHV riders under 18 years of age must possess an OHV Safety Certificate and be supervised by an adult. ASI, under agreement with the New Mexico Department of Game and Fish, offers approved training for OHV certification.

2. How can riders obtain an OHV Safety Certificate?
Any student who completes an ATV RiderCourse℠ or DirtBike School℠ taught by a New Mexico licensed Instructor, will be eligible to receive an OHV Safety Certificate.

3. What if a rider loses a Certificate?
Replacement/duplicate OHV Safety Certificates are available from ASI Client Services at (800) 776-7620 for a $3.00 fee.

4. If a rider already took the ATV RiderCourse or DirtBike School, do they need to take it again to get an OHV Safety Certificate?
No. Riders should call ASI Client Services at (800) 776-7620 for more information.

5. Are there any age/OHV size restrictions?
Yes. The age of the rider must meet any manufacturer's recommendations for the vehicle ridden. Additionally, the Instructor/Coach may limit the use of any vehicle deemed to create a safety hazard.

6. When will Students receive their OHV Safety Certificates?
Certificates are printed and mailed on the 1st and 15th of each month.

7. What is the cost of the class?
All New Mexico residents age 6 to 15 will be trained for $55.

The fee for students age 16 and older is $150.

Purchasers of new ATVs may also be eligible for free training. Contact Enrollment Express for more information at (888) 510-0599.

8. If a rider lives in another state, but rides on New Mexico public lands, do they need a New Mexico OHV Safety Certificate?
If the rider holds a certificate issue by another state agency, such as the Texas Department of Public Safety, New Mexico will recognize and accepts those certificates.

9. What are considered "public lands"?
State parks, US forests, state forests, etc.

10. Is an OHV Certificate required to ride on private property?

11. Can residents of other states get a New Mexico OHV Safety Certificate?
Yes, if they complete an ATV RiderCourse or DirtBike School taught by a New Mexico licensed Instructor/Coach and pay a $3.00 Certificate fee. Call ASI Client Services at (800) 776-7620 for more information.

Continue on to...

Click here to enroll online!

For the ATV RiderCourse nearest you, call toll free (800) 887-2887 | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policies
The All-Terrain Vehicle Safety Institute (ASI), a not-for-profit division of the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America (SVIA),
was formed in 1988 to implement an expanded national program of all-terrain vehicle (ATV) safety education and
awareness. The ASI is sponsored by
BRP, Honda, Kawasaki, KYMCO USA, Polaris, Suzuki, Textron Off Road, and Yamaha. For a list of non-member "Participating Companies," click here.
Watch Us on YouTube Follow Us on Twitter Like Us on Facebook